Saturday, August 21, 2010

Nokia 3555, Bad news and Good news

was recently given the opportunity to try out the Nokia 3555 by the fine folks over at WOM World. Since playing around with free electronics is fun, I took them up on the offer. I’m also incredibly concerned for the consumer, willing to put myself in great danger to provide you with unbiased cell phone reviews.
Yes, danger. You never know when a telemarketer could call.

The good news: The 3555 is compact and has excellent sound quality comparable to a land line (from my experience). It’s slim design makes it nearly unnoticeable in your back pocket. It sports a large directory that I would never fill, a music player, expandable memory and a bunch of other standard features. The 3555 is a great phone for the light user who makes occasional calls.

The bad news: Being a camera phone photo enthusiast, I’m obviously more concerned with the camera aspect of the phone. It is apparent why the camera gets less than a page of information in the user guide – it is an embarrassment to camera phones everywhere. No flash and low resolution makes this camera phone a paper weight. If you want to shoot memorable photos with your phone, look somewhere else.

Usability: The keypad is comfortable and easy to use, with my big hands making few keying errors. The selector buttons present a bit of confusion at first, but I got used to it after a short time. What really gets me, though, is the navigation.

The phone features are displayed on the screen as icons that are somewhat vague in appearance and more vague once you select one. Without going into much detail, let’s just say that getting around this phone is not intuitive at all. Even after a few weeks of use, I still found myself searching for menu items.

When I did shoot some photos, trying to figure out how to send them elicited moments of temporary insanity. The gallery is equally mysterious and aggravating, at least when I remembered how to get there.

One thing that had me excited, albeit briefly, was the glimmer of hope that this thing shot in 1200×1600. Yes, the user guide states on the bottom of page 44, “your device supports an image capture resolution up to 1200×1600 pixels.” I’ll concede that it might be some weak interpretation of digital zoom and image capture resolution, but I’m guessing that a tech writer didn’t get the memo.


The word: The 3555 is a great phone for making calls. If you’re a superior conceptual thinker, you might be able to find your way around the phone menus. The incredible sound quality makes this phone stand out for me, and the slim form factor is a refreshing departure from the usual brick-like design of most entry-level phones. The 3555 is a decent purchase for a casual user. If you’re looking to capture those precious moments, however, be sure to bring a camera.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Powerade Coupons